PARADISE ISLAND, Bahamas — David Jones scored 36 points, including crucial back-to-back 3-pointers to close the first half, to lead Memphis to an 84-79 victory Thursday night in the semifinal of the 2023 Bad Boy Mowers Battle 4 Atlantis.
Arkansas will face No. 14 North Carolina in the consolation game – the first game of the day on Friday (Nov. 24). Tipoff is set for Noon and the game will be televised on ESPN2.
In the game, Razorback senior Davonte Davis crossed the 1,000-point plateau with a 3-pointer with 1.9 seconds left in the game. He finished with 15 points, making three 3’s, and now has 1,001 points to become the 46th Razorback to reach the milestone in an Arkansas uniform.
Overall, the stats the similar with the following exceptions. Arkansas committed 18 turnovers with just seven assists as the Tigers out-scored the Razorbacks 27-10 on points off turnovers. Also, Arkansas was whistled for three technical fouls, leading to five Tiger free throws in the five-point loss.
Memphis led by five at halftime thanks to Jones’ two 3-pointers and both teams scored 42 points in the second half.
Jones was 10-of-14 from the field (4-of-8 from 3-point) and made 12-of-14 from the line while adding five steals. He led the Tigers with 17 first-half points, making all six of his shots from the field including three 3-pointers.
Khalif Battle led Arkansas with 21 points, going 8-of-11 at the line and 3-of-4 from 3-point range. For the second consecutive game, Trevon Brazile recorded a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds (seven offensive). Tramon Mark added 12 points.
• Arkansas starters were Layden Blocker, Davonte Davis, Tramon Mark, Trevon Brazile and Makhi Mitchell.
• Arkansas controlled the tip to start the game.
• Memphis’ Jordan Brown scored the game’s first points at 19:01. Makhi Mitchell scored the first points for Arkansas at 17:44
• Khalif Battle and El Ellis were the first Razorback subs.
• Memphis evened the all-time series at 11-11.
• Khalif Battle has led his team in scoring 29 times in his career and scored at least 20 points 24 times.
• Battle and Trevon Brazile are the only Razorbacks to make a 3-pointer in all six games this season.
Information from Arkansas Communications is included in this story.