BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — One of just two FBS true freshmen to rush for 100 yards in a game through the first two weekends, Arkansas running back Chase Hayden earned the first SEC Freshman of the Week award of the 2017 season on Tuesday.
The Memphis, Tennessee, native is the fifth running back in Arkansas history to be named the SEC Freshman of the Week, joining Felix Jones (2005), Darren McFadden (2005), Dennis Johnson (2008) and Alex Collins (2013). Only McFadden and Collins have done it twice in a season.
Hayden joined another exclusive list last Thursday night in Little Rock, as he rushed for 120 yards on 14 carries, including a 5-yard touchdown run in the third quarter, to become just the third Razorback to hit the 100-yard plateau on the ground in his freshman debut. That list also includes Jones and Collins.
Hayden Hits From Game 1
• Only true freshman player in the FBS to rush for over 100 yards and score a TD last week.
• One of seven FBS freshmen to rush for over 100 yards this season and one of just two true freshmen to do so.
• His 120 yards on the ground rank fifth in the SEC and are the 14th-most by a true freshman in Arkansas single-game history.
• Five of his 14 runs went for 10 or more yards – tied for most by an SEC player in Week 1.
• Half (7) of his runs resulted in a first down.
• Six of his last eight runs against Florida A&M resulted in a first down or touchdown.
• 10 of his 14 runs against Florida A&M went for eight or more yards.