FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas improved to 4-3 on the year, picking up wins over Wichita State and Saint Louis Saturday at the Billingsley Tennis Center.
Arkansas opened with a 4-3 win over the Shockers, despite getting behind and losing the doubles point.
In singles, Arkansas won three straight courts to take a 3-1 lead, before the Shockers made it interesting.
Up 4-1 in the third set on court three, freshman Josh Howard-Tripp fell to Murkel Dellien 1-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-5) to tie the match at 3-3.
Freshman Pedro Alonso earned a 6-4 third set win on court four to give Arkansas the match.
In the second match of the evening, shorthanded, the Billikens started the match forfeiting court three in doubles, giving Jose Salazar and Howard-Tripp the win.
Arkansas won 6-1 on court one and 6-4 on court two to take the doubles point.
In singles, the Billikens forfeited court six, allowing Arkansas to go up 2-0.
The Razorbacks won four straight courts to take the 6-0 lead and the match. Saint Louis got a 7-5, 7-5, win on court five to make it 6-1.
Pedro Alonso picked up his first two collegiate wins Saturday, defeating Wichita State’s Miroslav Herzan 2-6, 7-5, 6-4, before defeating Saint Louis’ Kenji Yanaba 6-2, 6-1.
Freshman Alex Reco extended his winning streak to three straight matches, picking up a win on court five against Wichita State’s Andrea Trapani 6-3, 6-1.
Senior Jose Salazar has a team-best four match winning streak, after earning a 6-1, 6-0 victory against Marius Frosa (Wichita State) and a 7-5, 6-4 win over David Ferragut (Saint Louis).
Arkansas 4, Wichita State 3
Singles Results – Order of finish (1,5,6,2,3,4)
1. #113 Jose Salazar (AR) def. Marius Frosa (WSU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Haru Inoue (WSU) def. Adam Sanjurjo (AR) 7-5, 6-4
3. Murkel Dellien (WSU) def. Josh Howard-Tripp (AR) 1-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
4. Pedro Alonso (AR) def. Miroslav Herzan (WSU) 2-6, 7-5, 6-4
5. Alex Reco (AR) def. Andrea Trapani (WSU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Jose Alonso (AR) def. Eddie Stoica (WSU) 6-1, 6-3
Doubles – Order of Finish (1,3)
1. #27 Murkel Dellien/Marius Frosa (WSU) def. Adam Sanjurjo/Pedro Alonso (AR) 6-2
2. Jose Salazar/Josh Howard-Tripp (AR) def. Eddie Stoica/Haru Inoue (WSU) 5-3 uf
3. Andrea Caligiana/Miroslav Herzan (WSU) def. Alex Reco/Branch Terrell (AR) 6-4
Arkansas 6, Saint Louis 1
Singles Results – Order of finish (6,4,3,1,2,5)
1. Jose Salazar (AR) def. David Ferragut (SLUM) 7-5, 6-4
2. Adam Sanjurjo (AR) def. John Nogalski (SLUM) 0-6, 6-1, 6-4
3. Josh Howard-Tripp (AR) def. Oscar Pachon (SLUM) 7-6, 6-1
4. Pedro Alonso (AR) def. Kenji Yanaba (SLUM) 6-2, 6-1
5. Justin Nogalski (SLUM) def. Josh Bortnick (AR) 7-5, 7-5
6. Jose Alonso (AR) def. No player (SLUM), by forfeit
Doubles – Order of Finish (1,3,2)
1. Adam Sanjurjo/Pedro Alonso (AR) def. John Nogalski/Justin Nogalski (SLUM) 6-1
2. Branch Terrell/Alex Reco (AR) def. David Ferragut/Oscar Pachon (SLUM) 6-4
3. Jose Salazar/Josh Howard-Tripp (AR) def. No player/No player (SLUM), by forfeit