ATHENS, Ga. — In a match that lasted four and a half hours, Arkansas fell in an early Sunday morning match to the Memphis Tigers 4-3.
In doubles, Arkansas came from behind to steal the point from Memphis, as the Tigers took an early advantage with a win on court three, 6-4.
Tied 6-6 on both court one and two, Arkansas was able to squeak by the Tigers to take the doubles point with 7-6 wins on both courts.
The duo of Jose Salazar and Josh Howard-Tripp defeated Andrew Watson and Ryan Peniston 7-6 to improve to 3-1 this season in doubles, while Adam Sanjurjo and Oscar Mesquida earned their first victory together this season with a 7-6 win over Kai Lemke and Matt Story.
In singles, the Tigers quickly evened things with a win on court two, as junior Sanjurjo fell to Peniston 6-1, 6-2.
Howard-Tripp would drop his second match of the season, falling to Pallares 6-4, 6-3 to give the Tigers the lead at 2-0.
Arkansas would respond with a win at the top spot, as No. 113 Salazar defeated Watson 6-4, 6-4, to improve to 3-1 in dual matches this season, 9-5 overall.
Mesquida would fall 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 to Lemke after taking the first set, to give the Tigers the 3-2 lead.
The Razorbacks would pick up a win on court five, as freshman Alex Reco defeated Chris Patzanovsky 6-4, 6-3 to knot the match up at 3-3.
On the decisive court, P. Alonso would fall 6-7 in the first set then drop 6-3 in the second to give the Tigers the victory.
Arkansas will return to the court Monday morning to face the loser of the Georgia/Iowa match at 9 a.m. in the consolation match.
Memphis 4, Arkansas 3
Singles Results – Order of finish (2,4,1,3,5,6)
1. No. 113 Jose Salazar (AR) def. Andrew Watson (MEM) 6-4, 6-1
2. Ryan Peniston (MEM) def. Adam Sanjurjo (AR) 6-1, 6-2
3. Kai Lemke (MEM) def. Oscar Mesquida (AR) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Jan Palleres (MEM) def. Josh Howard-Tripp (AR) 6-4, 6-3
5. Alex Reco (AR) def. Chris Patzonovsky (MEM) 6-4, 6-3
6. Felix Rauch (MEM) def. Pedro Alonso (AR) 7-6, 6-3
Doubles Results – Order of finish (3,1,2)
1. Adam Sanjurjo/Oscar Mesquida (AR) def. Kai Lemke/Matt Story 7-6
2. Jose Salazar/Josh Howard-Tripp (AR) def. Andrew Watson/Ryan Peniston (MEM) 7-6
3. No. 58 Jan Pallares/Felix Rauch (MEM) def. Branch Terrell/Alex Reco (AR) 6-4